PDA

View Full Version : Need some Internet Browser advice.

Blitztech
12-02-2011, 08:20 AM
It could be the website, some of the addons, some plugins, or just the browsers, but as of late I am having trouble with a couple browsers trying to load up the website.....It's kind of irritating...but yea I have tried:

Mozilla Firefox (7.0 started my problems, now on 8.0.1)
Google Chrome v15.xxxxxxxxxxxxx (latest stable)
Google Chrome v16.xxxxxxxxxxxxx (latest beta)
Palemoon 8.0 (tweaked Firefox build for more performance)

I have never tried Opera, but am willing to if people have good luck with it, and as for Internet Exploder......yea I'm not going to touch that.....

Or if others have another browser they like, feel free to post about it, I'm just getting fed up with the 1~2min wait for any page of the site to load.....

Opal Maiden
12-04-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Sekirei_Lord uses Opera.

But why not give Safari a try while you're at it.

Blitztech
12-04-2011, 10:29 AM
Apple......it goes against my following of Windows, but I will give it a shot....

Whyt Lindow
12-04-2011, 07:17 PM
I've noticed the same problem of recent, seems there's some hang time before the website appears.

Might be Chrome 17, I'll try the others as variables.

Blitztech
12-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Well, I went back to the stable version of Chrome (15.XXXXXXXX) and it seems to run slighty better than 16beta. And I am also trying a Firefox built browser called WaterFox. It is a 64bit browser that runs using Firefox's profile, or installs its own if you didnt have Firefox on your computer at the time. I am not sure if it will run on a 32bit system though due to it needing 64bit version plugins.

It could also be, that the site needs to be pruned of extraneous data. Try removing the banned members/bots, and maybe clean up the caches (I know with SMF and e107 you could, not sure about MyBB and Joomla.

Whyt Lindow
12-05-2011, 07:40 PM
I'll have a quick look, I do have access to most utilities but some I don't.

Whyt Lindow
12-05-2011, 07:50 PM
I've checked it over and there doesn't seem to be anything causing it, the largest files are the attachments and the rest of DB seems quite clean.

Blitztech
12-06-2011, 01:00 AM
Hmmm, might just be a slight lag then in the host's server I guess....But who knows, but on a side note Whyt, would you happen to know how I could tweak my performance to get some better upload/download speeds? I have looked it up, and have only found tweaks for IE/Firefox, nothing for an Operating System. Because it seems to be somewhere within my OS that's making it slow, not a browser, since it can be any program I use to try and upload something, and I get less than 75kb/s. Only tweaks I know are for Security, nothing for performance sadly.

Blitztech
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
And I must say......Safari is blazing fast. I still wont use it for downloading my anime though, I like using my Download Accelerators from Firefox...hehehe

Whyt Lindow
12-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Hmm, speeding up the system huh...

I can't think of anything at the minute apart from obvious peak time issues and the speed of your network card. I do think Windows had an issue which limited the number of connections by default, there where a few programs floating around sometime back which solved the issue by increasing the number.

If you have any spare machines I'd do a fresh install Windows and see if the speeds alright, could just be fragmentation or disk speeds.

Blitztech
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Well.....it "might" be the fragmentation issue.....Since it has probably been over a month since I reinstalled Windows, and normally I install all my programs, and all the updates, then do a defrag, but didn't exactly have time to do so this time around. I'll do one later today to see if that helps.

Whyt Lindow
12-06-2011, 08:25 PM
I hate to admit it myself but the simplest things end up being the case...
If the problem persists though, just drop me a message and I'll see what else I can dig out.

Blitztech
12-06-2011, 08:40 PM
A treasure chest scoring a few million wouldn't hurt.....jk

Whyt Lindow
12-06-2011, 08:48 PM
I'll remember to ship you some loot when I win the euro millions lottery haha.
That's no joke either, I actually would send you a few million.

Blitztech
12-06-2011, 09:28 PM
*bows to the almighty Whyt*

And I got a better idea, pay for a plane ticket, and you can just hand me some in person. We have to grab Seki and Cresent too then as well.

Blitztech
12-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Ok, so I ran a speedtes with my ISP and with Speedtest.net, here are the results below:

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/101974382.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1635587173.png

The download speeds are close to each other, and Xfinity says that my peak upload is over 3Mb/s, whereas speedtest showed my current upload speed.

All in all, according to Xfinity my speeds should be: 2,300Kb/s DL and ~300Kb/s UL.

Whyt Lindow
12-08-2011, 07:42 PM
It seems that speedtest.net shows what your actually getting where as the other tells you the speed you should be getting.
I'll take the test and post my results to see how they stack up.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1637705158.png
Just look at the rating of my ISP...
Slower than 64% of Great Britain...

http://results.speedtest.comcast.net/result/102223882.png

As you will full well know, the xfinity one is comcast (America) so the download will be much slower but those are what I got, the uploads seem pretty steady across the board.

Blitztech
12-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Well, I did do a defrag, and my system is running a little smoother. I haven't tried uploading anything yet, but I am not sure if from what you did with the forums did it or not, but Firefox is working again on the forums for me. I just use chrome more, because when I open it, it opens me straight into my email.

Whyt Lindow
12-09-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm a loyal chrome man myself, been using it since launch and haven't looked back since.
Firefox looks too much like IE aswell, thats the main reason I don't use it.

Blitztech
12-09-2011, 10:57 PM
Everything is better than IE though, except for IE9 apparently, with the new stuff they beefed IE9 with, it is the leading browser to prevent driveby malware and all that stuff. But doesnt say anything about speed or reliability, plus it also depends on user action alot too that IE.