Points: 9,164, Level: 11 Points: 9,164, Level: 11 Points: 9,164, Level: 11
Level up: 99% Level up: 99% Level up: 99%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Credits: 0
blooman
Default RE: Clannad Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazekage Kamelot
-,- its a sin... they should never dub any anime.
In my opinion I could do better dubs for Tomoya and Sunohara

Tomoya sounds Toooo adult
blooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:29 PM   #12
Whyt Lindow
Points: 2,526,446, Level: 69 Points: 2,526,446, Level: 69 Points: 2,526,446, Level: 69
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%

Credits: 5,035
Items Username ChangeUser Name Style Change
My Mood: Cheerful
Whyt Lindow will become famous soon enoughWhyt Lindow will become famous soon enough
Whyt Lindow's Flag is: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudriSampson
Heres an interesting read that has my throughly pissed off...

http://community.funimation.com/tm.aspx?m=240154
By what I've just read on the Funimation forums, I don't think I'll ever consider joining. and some of the people there are complete arse holes.
Plus it's full of people who would make love to Dubs if they could. and compare reading Manga to watching a Subbed series.
DO THESE PEOPLE NOT HAVE PERIPHERAL VISION..!

It just grates on me when people are so dense.
and I'm not only talking about Whether they can read subs or not.
Whyt Lindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
mars44444
Points: 7,350, Level: 9 Points: 7,350, Level: 9 Points: 7,350, Level: 9

mars44444

Yes...FUNi fans are big on dubs and there is this one member who complains all the time about subs I think you know him..his name on FUNi is something like Dubs for life...his comments usually are in huge capital letters and do nothing to contribute to a convo except dubs are awesome or something like that...
mars44444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Whyt Lindow
Points: 2,526,446, Level: 69 Points: 2,526,446, Level: 69 Points: 2,526,446, Level: 69

Whyt Lindow will become famous soon enoughWhyt Lindow will become famous soon enough

I've cut this from here, it should explain a lot of why I dislike dubs.

http://anime2manga.com/20070803/an-insight-on-the-battle-of-subs-versus-dubs.html

kuromitsu August 3rd, 2007 at 4:20 pm

I believe that the whole sub/dub debate all boils down to people trying to justify their personal preferences. Me, I prefer subs, not only with anime but with everything else - movies, TV series, etc., simply because I prefer to hear everything in the original. I want the least distance between me and the show, I want to hear the voices of the actors I see on the screen (there are some people out there whose voices simply can?t be ?replaced? even in the best dubs), and in general, even if I don?t understand the language, I want to hear them talk, emote, etc. on it, instead of listening to ?interpreters.?

I speak Japanese and still say that Japanese anime dubs are better than any other anime dubs I?ve seen. Why? Because in general, the voice actors do better. That?s all. They don?t only have years of experience on their own (well, except for newcomers), there?s also a very long tradition of voice acting (that I suppose goes back to bunraku), there are actual schools for aspiring voice actors, etc. And most importantly, voice actors, sound directors, etc. actually care about doing the best job they can, if not because they care about the show then because they know that doing a constantly great job is important for their carriers, for getting recognized by people in the industry which results in more jobs. It?s ?get out there and do a good job? rather than ?get out there and get the job done.? Of course these are generalizations, and Japanese anime voice acting has its negative side such as clich?s (for the role of Haruka in Noein, Kazuki Akane specially wanted a voice actress who was a newcomer and still fresh and ?unspoiled?), there?s hammy acting (like everywhere else in the world) and there are some very uninspired or downright bad dubs (Tenjou Tenge comes to mind). Still, on the whole, anime in Japanese sounds better and more ?natural.? In my experience.

I?m not saying there are no good western dubs. (By the way, people around me say that German and Italian dubs are generally the best western anime dubs - I?m inclined to agree based on my memories of what I?ve seen in my childhood, but then, I don?t speak German or Italian.) It?s just that most of what I saw sounded either flat and lifeless, or hammed up. Seems to me that western voice actors are somehow reluctant to express real emotions in a cartoon - emotional scenes, tortured cries and whispers, etc. always, always fall flat. It seems to me that most English voice actors don?t put too much effort into their roles (there are always exceptions, of course), and voice directors are too often satisfied with an acceptable or mediocre work. Here I have to admit that since I?m not American (or even a native English speaker) I probably can?t appreciate English dubs as much as a native English speaker may, so I?ll say this about the anime dubs on my first language (Hungarian): the voice directors and actors have no idea how to approach anime, and they don?t have the inclination to find out and learn. They just don?t care (except for a very, very few people) because there?s not enough money and appreciation (on the professional side) in anime dubs and cartoon dubs in general, unless it?s some big-profile show. The voice directors generally have either only a vague, no idea at all what the show is about, they only want to get the job done as fast as possible, while the actors do the cartoon routine, with overplaying scenes, turning even antiheroes into typical cartoon villains, etc. And it?s not because they don?t KNOW how to do it or there is no extensive voice acting and dub tradition (as is the case in the USA, afaik) - there are some fantastic dubs here for live action series, and back when studios had more time and resources to work on dubs, they used to make some absolutely stellar dubs for movies. No, they simply don?t care to do quality dubs for TV cartoons. They also don?t care about the translations - all anime dubs here used to be translated from English by people who didn?t care about doing a quality work, and as such, the translations are full of stylistic errors and horrible mistranslations.

Back to English dubs and scripts - what I really bothers me (aside from the acting) are two things: one, that there?s generally way more talking than in the original. I?m not talking about longer sentences or whatever, I?m talking about a tendency to insert random sounds and lines where there?s none in the original. Sometimes these are ?harmless,? throwaway sentences, but there are shows like Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust where the English version has about twice as much lines than the Japanese, and they?re twice as cheesy and corny (and I don?t care which came earlier, a corny script is a corny script). Why? Does the audience fall asleep if there?s silence for more than one minute? It?s so damn annoying. And two, there are all the changes dub scripts often make. Again, I?m not talking about necessary changes, I?m talking about changing bits of information or even whole situations or characters. In ROD TV, the dub neglected to mention that a character?s parents were dead, it said they were ?away.? It downplayed the love (rather innocent love, mind you) between two characters as much as it was possible. In Cowboy Bebop, they changed Gren?s backstory trying to give him an excuse for his drug addiction (by blaming it on experiments). Why? Then there are shows like VHD:Bloodlust (again) where the English and Japanese versions are practically two different shows (and mind you, I always thought that the movie was incomprehensible and disjointed until I saw it in Japanese? that was a real ?Ah-ha!? moment). I hate this. I don?t want a dub to make up its own version of the show. I want a faithful translation, down to the smallest bit of throwaway information.

And, well. Dubs are easier to screw up. With subtitles, there?s only the translator who can screw it up. With dubs, there?s the translator, the person who adapts the script, the sound director and the actors, and there needs to be only one screw-up to ruin the whole thing. In my experience, mediocre subtitles are way better than mediocre dubs? but that may be just me.

So yeah, these are my thoughts on anime dubs.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:46 AM   #15
Kazekage Kamelot
Points: 15,466, Level: 16 Points: 15,466, Level: 16 Points: 15,466, Level: 16

Kazekage Kamelot

i hate dubs for one simple reason. not because of what people said or because they i dont like to hear english voices.

I hate it because i beleive that the true story can only be pertraid by the origional artists. Do you have any idea the process they go through to pick the voice actors for each anime chatacter? There is a HUGE screening process that takes months. On top of that if the person irl is nothing like the character they wish to pertray 90% of the time that person wont get the part even if they are the perfect voice for them.

The Japanese also use alot of audio equipment to voice effect certain things and keep it going with the dreams. When the dub and use english voice actors all they do is hand some random person a script and say.. read this as if you where there. Half of them do an ok job with the emotion and acting, but the other half just dont care enough and just read the script. Fucking it up for everyone.

Now if we had like 30 voice actors exactly like Robin Williams then sure dubs would be fantastic, but in todays world people just dont care about their work like good old Mr. Williams :P!
Kazekage Kamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:54 AM   #16
blooman
Points: 9,164, Level: 11 Points: 9,164, Level: 11 Points: 9,164, Level: 11

blooman

Some people say kotomis voice is good!

I disagree

She doesn't have the stupid voice anymore

Like when she has the ??? on her face voice

It just killed it

Fuko also doesnt sound good

She isnt as cute as she used to be with her new voice

God help the person who does Ushio............
blooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #17
Whyt Lindow

I feel like stabbing those arseholes...
Old 04-04-2010, 01:15 AM   #18
Kazekage Kamelot
Points: 15,466, Level: 16 Points: 15,466, Level: 16 Points: 15,466, Level: 16

Kazekage Kamelot

agreed!
Kazekage Kamelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:37 AM   #19
Mr. Anderson
Points: 7,405, Level: 9 Points: 7,405, Level: 9 Points: 7,405, Level: 9

Mr. Anderson

for me its never going to matter i never watch dubbed or subbed animes because i am Japanese and speak the language very well XD! I was born and Raised in Japan, and live there now :P!
Mr. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
Whyt Lindow

Mr. Anderson, you are a privileged man.
Lucky enough to enjoy your own productions without someone shoving their foot in it, so some half-arsed fans can listen to badly dubbed anime.
I can't really say about much else but on that point your are privileged.
How's the weather? =D