The Lands of Anime and Gaming

The Lands of Anime and Gaming (https://www.tloag.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anime (https://www.tloag.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Subs Vs Dubs! (https://www.tloag.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1254)

AudriSampson 03-03-2010 04:58 PM

Subs Vs Dubs!

Subs Vs Dubs!! Let the debate begin, but remember to be nice we are all fans after all!

Nykira 03-03-2010 08:02 PM

RE: Subs Vs Dubs!

Hmmmm I like the subs because they show how the Japanese ppl have portrayed the vocies of the characters, all so the lip sink is done very well, compared to the dubs

but then I like the dubs because I can understand them better, and I don't miss out on any of the speaking, so I don't have to stop and go back to the bit I missed like in subs

so me cants choose ^^ there both good in there own ways

Skadi 03-03-2010 09:21 PM

I've always be an E-Dubber just because IMO, it suits the Anime better
if its told in English. I like J-Dubs too! Actually thinking about watching some
Anime in Japanese. But IDK, its not official or anything by me yet....

I have always just liked it in "Dubbed" more than anything else. Mostly
because that's what I grew up with as well as thinking it suits
the characters and story better, if told from an English speaking standpoint.
(refers to point one that he has already made) ^

Well there's my reasons for liking English dubbing over J-Dub. ^o^

I-Love-Yaoi 03-03-2010 09:40 PM

I love dubs better. ^^ Subs just cut out a lot of story line and it bugs me.

Skadi 03-03-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I-Love-Yaoi
I love dubs better. ^^ Subs just cut out a lot of story line and it bugs me.

I failed to mention that myself. Good call Sarah!
Also reading the subtitles can prove bothersome at times.
Unless you're fluent in Japanese, I see no other way around that. :-/

I-Love-Yaoi 03-03-2010 11:20 PM

Subs are ok in their own way though (accidently voted for subs ^^'') They include lots of the original dialogue.

Skadi 03-04-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Subs are ok in their own way though (accidently voted for subs ^^'') They include lots of the original dialogue.

Very true! Also the "Japanese jokes and puns"
are used to full effect, rather than misused or
interpreted wrong by English dub actresses/actors.

I-Love-Yaoi 03-04-2010 01:50 AM

Thats true! I hated DGM because the voice actors were so horrible!

Skadi 03-04-2010 02:37 AM

Quote:

Thats true! I hated DGM because the voice actors were so horrible!

Yep they're not perfect the E-Dub actors.
I haven't found a bad one in all my years of watching English Dub.
Of course others may differ on what I think. :-/

AudriSampson 03-04-2010 03:34 AM

Im a longtime sub fan. I dont think for the most the American talent does a good job at portraying the characters. This is shown especially with teenage girls or younger. Also with script re-writes our anime is often changed and Im sorry I want anime, not Japanese visuals with american crap thrown in.

I-Love-Yaoi 03-04-2010 04:25 AM

*claps* Bravo Audri! ^^ Such a good point!
@Kawaii: True true

AudriSampson 03-04-2010 04:31 AM

thanks *takes a bow.

I get alot of crap from that opinion on some other boards Im a part off...

I-Love-Yaoi 03-04-2010 04:43 AM

I love subs and dubs so XD
Everyone deserves an opinion ^^

AudriSampson 03-04-2010 04:46 AM

The problem is that the sub v Dub debate is really at the root of fandom. It often determins what companies in the US you support, that is if you even support them at all.

I-Love-Yaoi 03-04-2010 04:48 AM

True true *nods*

Skadi 03-04-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudriSampson
The problem is that the sub v Dub debate is really at the root of fandom. It often determins what companies in the US you support, that is if you even support them at all.

I only like the people that do the voices. I could care less about the US companies that they work for. Sorry to say it, but that's how I feel about it. Also "fandom" for me is based upon purely liking Japanese culture. I don't think it mattes what voice side you choose. As long as you like anime and have fun watching it, that's what really matters in the end.
I think folks are confused on what being a "fan of anime" is all about. :angel:

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudriSampson
Im a longtime sub fan. I dont think for the most the American talent does a good job at portraying the characters. This is shown especially with teenage girls or younger. Also with script re-writes our anime is often changed and Im sorry I want anime, not Japanese visuals with american crap thrown in.

I don't mind a redoing of anime for the English speaking audience.
Its still doesn't make it any less Japanese, just because a foreigner
does the voice of an Asian art form A slight change is okay with me,
but a major one is a definite "not on" IMO.

Whyt Lindow 03-05-2010 11:49 AM

I actually can't stand E-dubs, they make my ears bleed. The most part of that would be because I only watch Subbed anime. I'm a quick reader so I have no problem with reading subs fast enough and I've got wide peripheral vision so I can focus on watching and read at the same time. What puts me of mostly is the way the american VA's voices dont suit the characters, when I switch to watching the subbed the voices tend to be much more mellow and fit seamlessly. It just takes away the whole feeling of originality and emotion. There's my opinion.

I-Love-Yaoi 03-05-2010 06:41 PM

I usually only watch Subbed anime too ^^

Skadi 03-06-2010 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyt Lindow
I actually can't stand E-dubs, they make my ears bleed. The most part of that would be because I only watch Subbed anime. I'm a quick reader so I have no problem with reading subs fast enough and I've got wide peripheral vision so I can focus on watching and read at the same time. What puts me of mostly is the way the american VA's voices dont suit the characters, when I switch to watching the subbed the voices tend to be much more mellow and fit seamlessly. It just takes away the whole feeling of originality and emotion. There's my opinion.

I can understand that. strange thing is I don't hate either one. I just listen to one more so than the other. I have nothing against J-Dubs and would gladly watch them. I might actually do that with the next anime I buy. Which could take a while knowing my speed on things..... >.<

Whyt Lindow 03-06-2010 03:23 PM

Well I can actually say that out of the 75 anime series on my comp, only about 3 of them have English audio and even they have Japanese audio as well. As you can probably guess I've not watched any of them with E-dubs only subs. (Three series are; Onegai Teacher, Onegai Twins and Mahou Sensei Negima!)

Tyken 03-06-2010 10:50 PM

Come on dubs are better, because they speak english and it better then sub any day but most anime is jap, so they sub it becase not many people know jap

CrescentOfLight 03-07-2010 05:40 AM

Dubs>>>>>>>>>>Subs.

Whyt Lindow 03-07-2010 11:07 AM

I really dont know how you can watch anime E-Dubbed though, Tyken, you say it's better because its in English, how much anime have you watched in Japanese? Can you not hear the difference in quality from a Dub compared to a Sub? For a simple reason like "Because they're speaking English." I couldn't give a flying f*ck. I want the clean, crisp originality that only seems to come with Subbed.

Pardon my rant.

Nykira 03-07-2010 11:13 AM

Sorry bout me lil bro he don't watch much sub anime, he don't like to read u see, un like him me like the sub anime^^ it looks and sounds a lot better then the dubed for some
reason

AudriSampson 03-07-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whyt Lindow
Can you not hear the difference in quality from a Dub compared to a Sub? For a simple reason like "Because they're speaking English." I couldn't give a flying f*ck. I want the clean, crisp originality that only seems to come with Subbed.

Pardon my rant.

Quoted for Dang! factor and correctness!

Whyt Lindow 03-08-2010 02:34 PM

I love this thread =)
It makes me smile haha

Whyt Lindow 03-10-2010 07:01 PM

Last piece of material I'll contribute if there aren't going to be any more replies.
Would you seriously watch an anime such as Clannad; and emotional masterpiece with a storyline that not even Hollywood script writers could concoct.
If it was English it would loose it's flavour, that bond it has with your ears that commands a soft and smooth voice to caress them, maybe you dont understand what they're saying completely, but your getting that from the subs without an English (I really should say american, since American's speak American not English.) dub pounding at your eardrums. I'll only watch a dub when the original anime was created with the intention of English only audio from the start and it has to have good quality audio and voices which fit the characters.

Kazekage Kamelot 03-11-2010 12:00 AM

Subs.. and for 3 main reasons..

1) Dubs have the worst voice actors who dont know the difference between the emotions 90% of the time.
2) Dubs usually mean it was reworked, and also usually means 75% of the time somethings are cut from the series, not full eps but enough that it annoys me.
3) I speak Japanese almost fluently, and I Can listen to the Raw Anime while im doing other things, and I only use the subs in case they speak to fast or if i need some translation to understand, but 99% of the time I can just hear it and know.

The funny thing is though 40% of the time the subs are really badly translated.

AudriSampson 03-11-2010 01:59 AM

that really wouldnt surprise me, but Ill take mistranslations over bad acting LOL!!

Kazekage Kamelot 03-11-2010 03:37 AM

touche there Audri although I do have to admit some of the bad acting is just hilarious to listen to.

WORST VOICE ACTOR FOR ANIME EVER has to be the boy they got to play Alphonse in FMA. NO EMOTION... ZERO!!!

Supreme Uchiha 03-12-2010 03:41 AM

personally for me it depends on the anime. Some of the shows the dubbing isnt bad so i can watch it in English, but if the voices are horible i will watch subs (some animes i'll only watch subbed unless im to lazy to read the subtitles ill put it on dubbed).

One thing i am hating now w/the bleach sub is they are writing out he names of the moves in english which is annoying as hell. If you are watching the show, by now u know what the move is and dont need it to be in english as takes to long to read and doesnt sound as cool either.

Just my .02 (and 1st post)

Kazekage Kamelot 03-12-2010 04:59 AM

whats a .02? you have to mark it like money for it to be cents. $0.02 is the only way that would work :P come on your jewish you should know better XD!

gaga 03-19-2010 12:44 AM

subs and nothing else!!!
i like the original sound over anything else!!!
about the reading part, you who said you can't catch to the story that way - imo you've been too much spoiled with dub on everything (foreign movies and such)..
while we never dubbed english or any other foreign movies, actually if they could sub our home made movies too it would be great - cause when i try to hear everything i miss alot of things cause its not loud enough or something..
damn idiots started dubbing cartoons (you know like shrek, ice age and etc) but i guess thats ok for little kids who can't read yet but then again, those kind of cartoons are not exactly for kids who can't read yet.. ah well, guess kiddies like to hear funky voices and pretty colorful pictures..

oh my.. this is a quite long post which somewhat went off-topic but w/e
anyway to conclude - original sound is always better!!!!!

Whyt Lindow 03-19-2010 01:03 AM

Dubs really do take away the heart of anime.
I'd rant again but I think I've had too many this thread.

gaga 03-19-2010 01:12 AM

dubs take away the heart of anything not just anime..
its just not the same whn you hear the original sound and someone who's talking over that original.. :\

Kazekage Kamelot 03-19-2010 05:26 AM

well thats not entirely true there gaga, personally i think dubs are HILARIOUS in some situations. True the heart and story of the origional design go completely out the window, but it is very easy to make fun of a old chinese movie in english, where their mouths move for like 3 minutes, and all they say is.

I AM LIKE TIGER... OK!!!
Huh!

Leaves times for a great laugh, but in my personal opinion the origional without any subs or dubs would be best. Thank GOD i understand Japanese XD!

AudriSampson 03-19-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kazekage Kamelot
Leaves times for a great laugh, but in my personal opinion the origional without any subs or dubs would be best. Thank GOD i understand Japanese XD!

That is definetly the best way to go. How long did it take you to learn Japanese?

gaga 03-19-2010 11:09 PM

you see i mentioned also that i would prefer subs to our home made movies which i understand perfectly!!!
why?
simply cause when you only have to listen, you can miss few things cause you didn't hear good enough that part and similar.. but with sound and subs, nothing will be missed!!!!

Whyt Lindow 03-20-2010 12:00 AM

That seems awfully lazy.
Although it does work, my friend does it all the time whenever I'm round his house.
It's good if a lot of people are talking in the room as well.

Kazekage Kamelot 03-20-2010 12:27 AM

Well to learn japanese, i lived in japan for 6 months,and I have watched more then my share of anime, and kind of tought myself. I can speak it and understand it quite well. The only problem is that the way i learned is to speak like a child, so now as an adult alot of people laugh at my japanese XD!. But they can at least understand me!

I also am learning Chinese *Mandarin* now because i have worked and lived in China for the last 8 months. I speak it pretty well, but still have a long way to go to finish learning it.

I am also fluent in English, German, and Celtic.